Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Man hospitalized after spilling chemical on himself

Jackson Bell

A 63-year-old Lakeview Terrace man who spilled a hazardous chemical

on himself was hospitalized after being decontaminated by Burbank

firefighters on the side of the freeway, authorities said.


The unidentified man was driving southbound on the Golden State

(5) Freeway in Sun Valley about 10 a.m. Wednesday when he stopped to

remove a container in the far right lane, Burbank Fire Capt. Ron Bell



Inside the container was chloropicrin, which is used for household

fumigation, Bell said. The man apparently spilled some of it on his

hand, rubbed his eyes and began feeling ill.

“Apparently, he was trying to move the container from the

freeway,” Fire Capt. Frank Walbert said. “But we’re not sure why.”

The man called for help using an emergency call box near the Buena

Vista Street exit. Three fire engines, an ambulance and the

department’s hazardous rescue team responded, Walbert said.


As a precaution, the man’s clothes were removed and firefighters

sprayed him with water.

The man was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center as a