Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Share
News

Barham fire near Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank now mostly contained

A large plume of smoke could be seen from the Barham fire near Burbank in the Hollywood Hills on Saturday.
A large plume of smoke could be seen from the Barham fire near Burbank in the Hollywood Hills on Saturday.
(Los Angeles Times)

A brushfire that broke out in the Hollywood Hills near Burbank on Saturday is now mostly contained.

The Barham fire reached 95% containment by late Monday afternoon and scorched roughly 80 acres, in a statement released by the Los Angeles Fire Department. The agency said the remaining 5% of the containment has been inaccessible because of the hillside’s terrain, but that the area “has undergone extensive mop up.”

The fire began just before 2 p.m. in the 200 block of North Barham Boulevard, right above the Warner Bros. Studios lot. The fire quickly grew in size, sending up a large plume of smoke into the sky

At one point, about 235 firefighters responded to the blaze, including seven water-dropping aircraft.

Advertisement

By Saturday afternoon, the smoke from the fire led to an evacuation of the Warner Bros. lot out of an abundance of caution, according to studio spokesman Paul McGuire.

He added that the evacuation was prompted by the studio and not the fire department, and it also had little impact on any of the ongoing productions being filmed at the time.

However, not everyone heeded the order. In a post on Instagram, Scott Eastwood said his father, 89-year-old Clint Eastwood, ignored the evacuation and reportedly told a security guard, “No we’re good, there’s work to be done.”

The younger Eastwood added in his post, “Then we went into the mixing stage and all watched his new movie.”

The lot was fully reopened by Monday morning, McGuire said.

Advertisement

One firefighter suffered non-life-threatening injuries to his arm and leg while responding to the incident. No other injuries were reported from the scene, according to LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. However, the fire department said its preliminary findings show that there were no homeless encampments in or near where the blaze began.

Support our coverage by becoming a digital subscriber.


Advertisement