Parishioners of St. James the Great Episcopal Church in Newport Beach will move their Sunday services from a Costa Mesa art museum to the Newport Beach Civic Center beginning next weekend.
The congregation has held services at various locations since Bishop J. Jon Bruno’s announcement in May that the church’s site on Via Lido was being sold to Legacy Partners, which planned to develop luxury townhomes there. Less than a month later, parishioners held their last service in the church.
Initially, the congregation held Sunday services at a park near the Via Lido property, but then moved to the Gray Matter Museum of Art on East 17th Street in Costa Mesa for what was expected to be a rainy winter.
Nearly a year after Bruno’s announcement, the sale of the church’s former site has not closed. The property remains tangled in a legal battle between Bruno and Griffith Co., which owned the property before it was transferred to the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles in 1945.