Laguna Bluebelt honors photo contest’s top sea scenes
The nonprofit Laguna Bluebelt Coalition this week announced the winners of its sixth annual photo contest, which drew more than 70 entries from professional and amateur photographers focusing on Laguna Beach’s marine environment.
The winners in the professional category:
• First place: Dan Stensland, “Into the Great Wide Open”
• Second place: Brian Crawford, “Plop”
• Third place: Sean Hunter Brown, “A Kelp Perspective”
• Honorable mention: Chris Wassmann, “The Beast”; George Bryan, “Let the Children Play”
Honorees in the amateur category:
• First place: R. Scott Elgram, “Silver Ocean”
• Second place: Garrett Woods, “Camouflage in the Deep”
• Third place: Suzanne Greenberg, “Spilled Milk”
• Honorable mention: David A. Munday, “Shaw’s Sea Anemone”; Billy Fried, “Vikings Invade”
Photographers Mark Chamberlain, Pat Sparkuhl and Mitch Ridder served as the contest judges.
“It was great to see how local photographers, both amateurs and professionals, challenge themselves to create a photograph that reflects the sensitivity and concerns of the local coastline environments,” Sparkuhl said in a statement. “I’m impressed by their interest and passion for the Laguna bluebelt.”
A reception to honor the winners will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. June 2 at the Forest & Ocean Gallery, 480 Ocean Ave., Laguna Beach.
To see all the entries, visit Laguna Bluebelt’s Facebook page and look under “Photos.”