Costa Mesa officials touted the marketing campaign for the city's recent 60th anniversary party in a statement released Friday.
In addition to several news stories about the event that gave it exposure, buzz for the festival, held from June 28 to 30, was generated through about 13 million ad views in print, broadcast and online forms, officials said.
"The marketing of the 60th anniversary street festival served three purposes," Dan Joyce, the public affairs manager who spearheaded the celebration for the city, said in a prepared statement. "First, it united the community in celebration of our history and civic pride. Second, it prompted thousands and thousands of people to come celebrate Costa Mesa's 60th birthday and have a great time in our city.
"And finally, it enhanced the Costa Mesa brand throughout Southern California as a thriving town and place to be."
The Costa Mesa Conference and Visitor Bureau invested $41,000 worth of marketing, and other media sponsors — including the Daily Pilot — bolstered the total to more than $60,000.
The city also released an official estimate of 16,000 attendees for the three-day event, which took place at City Hall, along Fair Drive and at the Orange County Fairgrounds.
Other financial information associated with the event, such as revenue, has not been released. City officials said this week that invoices are still coming in and that numbers will be released within the next week or two.
Earlier this year, the City Council earmarked $125,000 in city funds for the event, which also required considerable help from city staff and volunteers.