Glendale Community College was forced to evacuate its library Tuesday morning after noxious fumes from remodeling work made their way in through the building's ventilation system, according to a school official.
Students and staff began to notice the unpleasant odor around 10:30 a.m., according to Drew Sugars, a spokesman for the college.
He said the smell stemmed from asphalt primer that a work crew was using on the library's roof.
"The smell was enough where it was bothering people … Out of precaution, we evacuated the building," he said.
No one was injured during the evacuation, and the library was closed for the day so that it could "air out," according to Sugars. Classes slated to be held in the library were relocated to another part of campus.
He said work on the roof was canceled for the day and will resume when no students are present.