Good morning readers! Today is Wednesday, June 25. Weather for the Glendale area is expected to reach a high of 86 degrees and a low of 63.
Here are your headlines for today:
- Firefighters have nearly extinguished a brush fire burning in the hills above Brand Park since Sunday, with officials saying Tuesday evening that the conflagration is 90% contained.
- Burbank utility customers can expect rate increases starting in July after all, as one Burbank City Council member on Monday flipped his vote after city officials said keeping rates stagnant would cause a $7.6 million revenue shortfall and extensive budget cuts this coming fiscal year.
- A memorial service for Green Beret Staff Sgt. Scott Studenmund, who died June 9 during military engagement in Afghanistan, drew about 1,100 mourners to the Flintridge Preparatory School campus on Saturday.
- Zagtoon, a Paris-based animation studio, has drawn up plans to move into a 40,000-square-foot office building in Glendale, where its officials expect to be churning out several TV series and feature-length films.
- Burbank school officials approved a new independent-study program recently in hopes of attracting Burbank students that the district has lost to similar programs nearby that provide students flexibility in earning a high school diploma.
-- Sameea Kamal, email@example.com
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.