Good morning, 818. Today is Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. Temperatures for today are forecasted to reach a high of 66 and a low of 47, according to the National Weather Service.
Here are your local headlines:
- Glendale police are searching for a would-be robber caught on video pushing and pulling two employees at gunpoint at Barragan’s restaurant in Glendale earlier this month, police said. Released on Tuesday, the surveillance video shows the masked man hopping over a brick wall behind the restaurant — located at 814 S. Central Ave. — before tiptoeing up to the back door just before 11 p.m. on Jan. 3.
- A hiker found human bones, as well as the car of a La Crescenta mother reported missing in 2012, in Angeles National Forest on Sunday afternoon, police said. The discovery marks a major break in the disappearance of 33-year-old Megan Sue Dipiazza, who went missing on Nov. 11, 2012, after leaving a note in her apartment saying “goodbye to her family," police said at the time.
- Opponents of the proposed Armenian American Museum project voiced concerns over the potential for traffic and parking impacts while backers endorsed the potential of creating a cultural hub and community resource during a public forum Sunday.
- SeaPort Airlines, a Portland, Ore.-based carrier with routes in eight U.S. states and Baja, Calif., in Mexico, announced Friday that it would discontinue all scheduled service to destinations in California and Mexico by the end of that day, including to Bob Hope Airport.
- Twenty-four people — armed with glue sticks, scissors and dozens of magazines — gathered in a room at the Buena Vista branch of the Burbank Library for a do-it-yourself vision board party on Saturday.
- Aureen Aghajanian was crowned “Mr. Nitro” Friday night after competing against nine other students during Glendale High School’s fourth annual male-only pageant, serving as a fundraiser for the high school’s Associated Student Body, which helps fund numerous clubs on campus.
- Voice actor Rodger Bumpass, best known for his role as Squidward Tentacles on the television show “SpongeBob SquarePants,” was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving in Burbank last week, police said.
- A funding agreement between the California High-Speed Rail Authority and the city of Burbank will pay for much of a $1.2-million planning process for what high-speed rail officials are calling a “world-class multimodal transportation hub,” including a proposed bullet train station adjacent to Bob Hope Airport.
- La Cañada’s athletic fields are expected to reopen today after a one-month winter closure period, according to a release issued Tuesday by city officials.
- Foothill Municipal Water District’s retail agencies collectively reduced their water use by about 20% in December, compared to December 2013, the benchmark used by the state for measuring conservation rates, according to a release issued Tuesday. Most individual agencies, however, fell short of state-mandated targets set earlier this year.
- Clark Magnet High School will host tours of its robotics and engineering lab for parents, prospective students and local residents on Saturday.
Ryan Fonseca, firstname.lastname@example.org