Greetings, readers! Today is Thursday, May 15. High temperatures will continue in the area with highs in the Glendale area reaching 102 degrees and a low of 70, according to the National Weather Service.
In the news from your area:
- Transportation officials are warning motorists about a number of Golden State (5) Freeway lane closures this week that are part of the $355 million Empire interchange construction project in Burbank.
- Despite opposition from neighbors, the Glendale City Council approved two five-story residential developments on Tuesday, with some Council members saying their hands were tied because the projects meet city zoning requirements.
- Roughly a year after the Crescenta Valley Water District ratcheted up water and sewer rates, the water provider is considering another set of increases.
- Since La Cañada passed its new tree ordinance in March, opponents have been crawling out of the woodwork. One resident is circulating an online petition to repeal the ordinance, while another wants to look into having the city's "Tree City USA" status revoked by the Arbor Day Foundation, which has granted the title to 3,400 American communities since 1976.
- A few streets in La Cañada Flintridge, including a portion of Angeles Crest Highway, will close Saturday when the seventh stage of the Amgen Tour of California bicycle race sweeps through the town on its way to a finish in Pasadena.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.