Trial delayed for man accused in 2015 slaying of 81-year-old Newport Beach man
The retrial of Carson City man Anthony Thomas Garcia that got underway earlier this year is in recess until March 8 because he has been exposed to the coronavirus in jail.
Garcia is charged with the 2015 murder of Newport Beach resident Abelardo “Abby” Estacion, 81.
Last July, Orange County Superior Court Judge Sheila Hanson declared a mistrial after jurors deadlocked over the guilt of Garcia, who is alleged to have asphyxiated Estacion in his Newport Beach home in April 2015.
Garcia is charged with a special circumstances allegation of murder for financial gain. If convicted, Garcia could face life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Hanson said Monday that Garcia is currently in quarantine, though Orange County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Carrie Braun said the agency could not confirm on a by-name basis.
Braun said in an email Monday that there are six inmates that have positive cases in custody, and 107 are in medical quarantine.
If medically cleared, Garcia is expected to be present for trial at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana next Monday.
All the latest on Orange County from Orange County.
Get our free TimesOC newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Daily Pilot.