Ex-mayor Mansoor announces he’s running for Costa Mesa City Council
Former Costa Mesa Mayor Allan Mansoor announced Wednesday that he is launching a campaign to return to the City Council, almost six years after he left City Hall for the state Legislature.
Mansoor, who generated headlines and controversy for his hard-line stances against illegal immigration during his time on the council, will vie for one of the three seats up for grabs in the November election.
“Having lived here most of my life, I appreciate all of the different residential and business communities and the people who live and work here,” Mansoor said in a statement announcing his bid. “As a husband and a father, I will fight not only for the current residents but for future generations to be able to live, work and play in Costa Mesa.”
Current Mayor Steve Mensinger, who is up for re-election this year, is supporting Mansoor’s bid.
“As a former mayor of Costa Mesa, Allan has the experience and understanding to tackle some of the biggest issues facing Costa Mesa, including crime, homelessness and economic development,” Mensinger said in a statement.
Mansoor, a Republican, served on the City Council from 2002 to 2010, gaining widespread attention and attracting criticism as he pushed for stricter regulations on illegal immigrants working and living in Costa Mesa.
He was later elected twice to the state Assembly before mounting an unsuccessful campaign for a seat on the Orange County Board of Supervisors in 2014.
Mansoor previously filed paperwork indicating that he planned to run for the council this year, but Wednesday’s announcement makes it official.
Others who have declared their intention to run are Mesa Verde residents Jay Humphrey and John Stephens, Eastside residents Julie Mercurio and Lee Ramos, and Al Melone, who lives in the State Streets.
The seats occupied by Mensinger, Councilwoman Sandy Genis and Councilman Gary Monahan are up for election this year. Mensinger and Genis are running again. Monahan is termed out.