Classes and activities at Glendale Community College were canceled on Wednesday after a construction crew ruptured a natural-gas line, prompting an evacuation of the campus.
Crew members were working underground near the college’s auditorium around 1:30 p.m. when they struck the gas line, which resulted in the leak. The leak was eventually stopped sometime before 5 p.m.
No injuries were reported as a result of the leak and personnel from the Glendale police and fire departments responded to the incident.
Drew Sugars, a campus spokesman, said the leak was significant enough that it lead to power being shut down on the campus as well as the cancellation of classes and activities for the rest of the day.
He also said the construction crew was working on an underground excavation project connected to the college’s ongoing renovation of its gymnasium at the time of the incident.
“They knew where the line was but it was an accidental severing of the line,” he said.
The leak had no impact on the college’s Garfield campus and professional development center.
The ruptured gas line was repaired by Thursday morning and classes resumed as normal that day, according to Sugars.
Construction projects have been ongoing at the college as a result of Measure GC, a $325-million facilities bond passed in 2016. The money is earmarked for major upgrades, including the gym renovation.
Nov. 2 10:25 a.m.: This article was updated with information about the leak’s repair.
Oct. 31 4:25 p.m.: This article was updated with more details about the gas leak’s impact on Glendale Community College’s other campuses.
This article was originally published on Oct. 31 at 3:30 p.m.