Glendale has been known as the Jewel City for nearly a century
Pasadena was known as the Crown City. Los Angeles called itself
the City of the Angels. And Glendale’s boosters wanted a title of
their own, too.
When Pasadena began calling itself the Crown City in 1910, that
action started a tidal wave of boosterism that spread throughout
For several years, chambers of commerce of growing cities competed
with each other to come up with just the right moniker for their
The man who came up with Glendale’s official title was Edward U.
Emery, president of the city’s Chamber of Commerce and an ardent
supporter of incorporation. He was also one of the leading lights in
several of the city’s earliest community organizations.
Emery, a salesman for Newmark Tea & Coffee Co., declared that
Glendale, with its background of the Verdugo Hills, “sparkled like a
jewel in the sun.” His description so enthused the Board of Trustees
who ran the city that they adopted the motto and rewarded him with an
official “thank you.”
Emery and his wife, Mary, had arrived in Glendale in 1906. Their
son, Owen, entered the eighth grade in the only grammar school in the
city, at Chevy Chase Drive and Broadway, then enrolled at Glendale
High School. He graduated from both institutions with the distinction
of being class orator.
After receiving his law degree at the USC, he served overseas
during World War I. In 1919, returning to civilian life, he decided
that the rapidly growing city of Glendale suited his needs. He
returned to the city where he was raised, becoming active in the
Glendale Chamber of Commerce, just as his dad had been, according to
Carroll W. Parcher’s “Glendale Community Book.”
One business that quickly adopted the new logo was the Jewel City
Restaurant, at Broadway near Isabel Street, run by W. H. Easton.
Easton was advertising “‘the best 25-cent meals in the Valley” in
1910, the year this picture was taken.
Two years later, a Glendale News article described the restaurant
-- now under the proprietorship of D.W. Lynn, as “clean as a penny,”
with immaculate linen and an inviting atmosphere. The writer invited
those who had to board to try the restaurant’s home-cooked meals.
Nowadays, the Jewel City logo continues to pop up. In 1986, the
News-Press invited citizens to gather at Brand Boulevard and Milford
Street for a photo celebrating the city’s 80th birthday. The photo
appeared April 30, with a caption referring to a Jewel City that is
“young at heart.”
Five years later, in another anniversary edition of the
News-Press, then-Congressman Carlos Moorhead, 22nd District, extended
his hearty congratulations to the Jewel City. Then-Sen. Newton
Russell also sent his congratulations to the Jewel of the Verdugos.
And the name lives on. A recent city directory listed an auto
glass company, a bowling alley and a grill bearing the Jewel City
* KATHERINE YAMADA is a volunteer with the Special Collections
Room at the Central Library. To reach her, leave a message at
637-3241. The Special Collections Room is open from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Saturdays or by appointment. For more information on Glendale’s
history, call the reference desk of the Central Library at 548-2027.