Glendale Galleria timeline:
* 1972: Galleria project area formed.
* March 1973: Redevelopment Agency approves development of
$75-million regional shopping center.
* July 1973: Preliminary drawings and architectural concepts
* 1973-1974: Project agreements negotiated; land acquired by
* October 1974: Groundbreaking ceremony for 4,000-space Galleria
* August 1976: Buffums' and Broadway department stores open.
* October 1976: Galleria shops and Orbach's department store open.
* November 1976: J.C. Penney department store opens.
* June 1982: Plan to add two department stores to Galleria
receives preliminary endorsement form City Council.
* September 1983: Galleria II opens.
* July 1988: Galleria co-owner Dan Donahue announces plans to
expand the mall a second time, from 1.38 million square feet to 2.28
million square feet.
* 1999: After nearly a decade of discussions and negotiations
between the city and Galleria owner Donahue Schriber, plans to expand