Police survive violent Tuesday

GLENDALE — Tuesday was a violent day for Glendale police officers, two of whom were involved in a North Hollywood shooting, while two others sought medical treatment for minor injuries sustained during a scuffle with a paroled gang member.

“It was not a good day at all,” Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.

The Glendale police detective who shot an alleged robber in North Hollywood Tuesday afternoon was on paid administrative leave for his well-being and so he could seek counseling, Lorenz said. Neither of the two officers was hurt in the incident in which the two robbery suspects allegedly attempted to flee and run over them with their car.

The shooting was the second out-of-city officer-involved shooting in less than two years. The other shooting occurred in Pacoima.

In both shootings, detectives ventured out of Glendale during narcotics investigations and were confronted with suspects who attempted to flee and run them over with a car, although the North Hollywood incident was unrelated to the initial undercover trailing operation.

The suspects in that incident on the 6300 block of Colfax Avenue tried ramming into the detectives, prompting an officer to fire one shot at the driver, Lorenz said.

The driver, whose name hasn’t been released, was shot in the upper torso and remained hospitalized Wednesday with non-life-threatening injuries.

The passenger, Christopher Morales, 21, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and attempted murder of a police officer, Lorenz said.

Also on Tuesday, two Special Enforcement Detail officers who were patrolling Chevy Chase Park —a known hangout for Toonerville gang members — got into a scuffle with Jonathan Pereida, 18, after a foot chase through backyards and over fences.

They spotted Pereida, who’s on parole for possessing a firearm, on Tuesday and tried to stop him, but he ran away from them, according to police reports.

They finally caught up with Pereida on the 4100 block of Sequoia Street in Los Angeles, where he slipped and fell. After resisting arrest, the officers eventually used a Taser gun to subdue and arrest him.

The officers were taken to an urgent care clinic, where they were treated for cuts to their face, arms and legs.

Pereida — a reputed gang member — was arrested on suspicion of battery on a police officer, violating a court order, resisting arrest and violating parole.


Copyright © 2019, Glendale News-Press
EDITION: California | U.S. & World