Firefighters evacuated about two dozen apartment units Monday in Glendale after a construction crew cut a 2-inch gas line, sending fumes directly into the building.
Residents vacated the apartment building in the 1100 block of Campbell Street just after 1 p.m. as a precaution while firefighters and utility employees worked on the gas line, officials said. Hours later, they evacuated a second apartment building, Fire Battalion Chief Gregory Godfrey said.
Residents in another building were asked to remain indoors as crews worked.
Firefighters estimated it could take up to three hours to cap the leak. Crews took several hours to stop the gas leak, officials said.
Most gas leaks can be repaired within 10 to 15 minutes, Godfrey said, but the gas line at Campbell and Stocker had been ruptured in three spots, requiring crews to dig up three areas.
“It’s a pretty extensive operation,” Godfrey said.
A private contractor installing a new electrical vault dug down as far as 8 feet when the gas line was struck at a T, which firefighters said was clearly marked above ground, according to Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz.
Police blocked four intersections at Stocker Street to Louise and Jackson streets, and Campbell Street to Dryden and Loraine streets during the repairs.