Two dogs saved from Burbank home fire caused by dry Christmas tree

A blaze that erupted in home Wednesday night on Screenland Drive after a dry Christmas tree caught fire caused $125,000 in damage, but no injuries were reported.

The fire destroyed the home's living room before firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze shortly after 6 p.m. in the 2000 block of Screenland Drive.

Burbank animal control officers were called in to care for two dogs that were found hiding in a nearby room. The homeowners were apparently away at the time the fire started.

A lamp that was near the dry Christmas tree was blamed for sparking the fire.

Burbank Fire Marshal Frank Walbert called on residents to remove Christmas trees, most of which are tinder dry at this point, from their homes to avoid a similar fate.

-- Ross A. Benson and Jason Wells, Times Community News

Photo: A Burbank animal control officers leads one of two dogs rescued from the house by Burbank firefighters. Credit: Ross A. Benson


Copyright © 2019, Glendale News-Press
EDITION: California | U.S. & World