Good morning 818 readers. Today is Sunday, Dec. 29. National Weather Service forecasters predict the high will be 64 and the low will be 37 in the Glendale-area.
Here are the latest headlines from the weekend in your region:
- On Saturday night at UFC 168 in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Arena, Ronda Rousey was able to secure an armbar submission against archrival Miesha Tate 58 seconds into the third round of their co-main event -- the Ultimate Fighting Championship women’s bantamweight champion’s fights -- to defend her championship. Meanwhile, Glendale Fighting Club's Manny Gamburyan dropped a hard-fought unanimous decision to Dennis Siver in featherweight bout.
- A runaway horse that injured six people at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center on Saturday has been captured, according to Burbank police. The horse got loose, then ran down a trail, colliding with horseback riders and pedestrians.
- Two men who ended up in the hospital after initiating a high-speed police chase on Christmas Day in Burbank have been charged with one count each of auto burglary and receiving stolen property, police said.
- The Burbank City Council signed off on plans last week to double the rebate for water-saving landscapes — raising it from $1 per square foot to $2. And that applies now not only to front yards, but also side and backyards, city officials said.
- High winds and dry conditions are keeping firefighters on alert in Southern California this weekend as local fire agencies have announced plans to boost wildfire resources over the next 24 hours, according to the Los Angeles Times.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Sameea on Twitter: @sameeakamal