Good morning, 818 locals! Today is Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014. The National Weather Service predicts highs of 67 and lows of 45 in the Glendale area today.
Here are your top news stories in the area:
- A reputed gang member shot himself in the foot Tuesday night after reportedly carjacking a vehicle, and then fired several rounds at a Good Samaritan who stopped to ask if he was hurt on the Glendale (2) Freeway, police said. During the police investigation, a section of the freeway was shut down.
- Police are investigating a series of thefts in which side mirrors were stolen from four parked cars in Burbank on Saturday. Mirrors were stolen from two parked cars in the 1600 and 1500 blocks of Victory Place, and in the 900 block of East Tujunga Avenue. Police believe the thefts are related.
- Burbank police will host a bicycle registration event this Saturday, which will help authorities identify stolen bikes and return them to their owners if they are lost or stolen.
- At a meeting on Tuesday night, the La Cañada Unified Governing Board readopted a resolution supporting the possible transfer of territory near the city’s western boundaries from Glendale Unified School District to LCUSD and announced the official kickoff of the Measure LC parcel tax campaign.
- New state geological maps released Wednesday show several major developments planned in Hollywood are much closer to an active earthquake fault than Los Angeles city officials have said, according to the Los Angeles Times. The draft maps chart the course of the Hollywood Fault, which runs from Atwater Village and Los Feliz, through a booming section of central Hollywood and west along the Sunset Strip.
-- Sameea Kamal, email@example.com
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.