Greetings, 818 readers! Today is Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014. Locals in the Glendale-area can expect to see a high of 84 and low of 49, according to forecasters at the National Weather Service.
We're rounding up the top news items in the region:
- Strong Santa Ana winds and low humidities are putting the Los Angeles mountains on high fire weather alert, according to the National Weather Service. The agency announced a red flag warning on Monday morning until at least 6 p.m. on Wednesday for the Los Angeles basin, including the Santa Clarita Valley, Western San Fernando Valley and Eastern Ventura County, the NWS reports.
- A Glendale man has been sentenced to two years in prison for reportedly stalking a married woman and crashing into her car to get her attention. Gamlet Sarkisyan, 48, was arrested in October in connection with stalking the 38-year-old woman as well as a separate case regarding a theft at Nordstrom Rack, according to Glendale police.
- IKEA got the green light from the Burbank Planning Board Tuesday to nearly double the size of its location in the city, though the project still needs to be approved by the Burbank City Council.
- Glendale detectives are asking for the public’s help with details about a robbery on Friday at a Subway restaurant, which was held up at gunpoint. Four employees were inside the restaurant at 4:09 p.m. in the 1600 block of West Glenoaks Boulevard, when the gunman suddenly appeared and was carrying a black bag, according to Glendale police.
- Six St. Francis football players and three Burbank football players pick up All-CIF recognition, announced on Monday.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.