Good morning, 818 readers! Today is Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014. Weather in the Glendale area is expected to hit a high of 63 degrees and a low of 44.
We're rounding up the top headlines in the region:
- Five lanes were shut down on the northbound Glendale (2) Freeway yesterday afternoon after a multi-car collision near Mountain Street, officials said. Five people were taken to local hospitals for minor injuries.
- Brian Hoke, 33, was arrested Sunday after he allegedly broke into the Scholl Canyon Landfill and tried to steal a Glendale Water & Power truck, which he planned to use to return home to Long Beach, police said. But Hoke apparently didn’t get very far. Police found the truck at about 9:30 a.m. stuck in a ditch inside the landfill in the 7700 block of North Figueroa Street, Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.
- Bob Hope Airport saw a roughly 5.2% decline in passengers last year, however, officials were cautiously optimistic to see December numbers rise about 1.2%, according to the latest report.
- Burbank and Glendale together are purchasing a new helicopter to replace a two-decades-old one that officials say is past its service life.
- A series of car vandalism incidents were reported in Burbank late last week, some of which were similar in nature, police said. Three car owners reported discovering slashed tires and key marks on their cars Thursday morning, said Burbank Police Sgt. Darin Ryburn
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.