Good morning and happy Valentine's Day, 818 readers. Today is Thursday, Feb. 14. Temperatures today for the Glendale area will reach a high near 82 and a low around 52.
Here are the top headlines in your region:
- Check out our Valentine's Day special on some of the unique and quirky love stories from the area. If you missed yesterday's preview, read the La Crescenta love story of Brenda Gant and Jeff Hughes, who met in the third grade but didn't come together till about four decades later.
- The Golden State (5) Freeway in L.A. County was ranked the most congested out of 21 in the state, according to a report by the state's Department of Transportation. California has some of the most congested freeways in the nation, with about half of them in Los Angeles County.
- Glendale police issued warnings and citations Thursday to dozens of people who were reportedly unlawfully dashing across Brand Boulevard as a way to enforce pedestrian safety in the city. Twenty people were cited for reportedly failing to obey pedestrian signals at crosswalks along Brand and Central Avenue between Colorado Street and the Ventura (134) Freeway.
- Angeles National Forest is waiving its visitor fee this weekend in honor of Presidents Day. Beginning Saturday through Monday, visitors aren't required to purchase the usual National Forest Pass, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
- The city of La Cañada is warning its residents to be on the lookout for signs of bark beetle infestation in trees on their property. The insects insects pose a special threat to pines and other conifers in dry weather conditions.
-- Sameea Kamal, email@example.com
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.