Good morning, 818! Today is Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014. Temperatures for today are expected to reach a high of 75 degrees and a low of 50.
Here are some of the top headlines in the area:
- Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Silver Lake) has proposed a law that would require public schools to adopt uniform procedures for detecting and reporting such crimes. The proposal comes on the heels of criminal cases involving California teachers and district employees who failed to report alleged child abuse on campus.
- Despite protests from senior citizens, the Glendale City Council approved the final design for a $29.9-million affordable housing project for creative industry workers planned for downtown Glendale, known as the “Glendale Arts Colony.”
- A 49-year-old Glendale woman was found guilty Tuesday for her role in an elaborate $20-million healthcare fraud scheme that officials say involved a medical imaging clinic in south Glendale.
- A 20-year-old Burbank man was arrested Monday after police recovered 1,000 steroid pills and 15 vials of liquid steroids from his residence, authorities said.
- If you're a flea market fan, you may want to clear up some Saturdays: the “Burbank Junk Trunk Flea Market” is scheduled to premiere from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on March 8 in the John Muir Middle School parking lot, 1111 N. Kenneth Road.
- And if you're a student: the Community Foundation of the Verdugos is accepting applications for scholarships before the March 7 deadline.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.