Good morning, 818 readers! Today is Saturday, March 1, 2014.
Here's our roundup of the top headlines in the area:
- With a storm hitting the Southland today, rain in the area caused some havoc in Burbank, while things remained relatively calm in Glendale and in La Cañada.
- Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Silver Lake) responded this week to the fact that he was one of 37 state politicians who received warning letters from a state ethics agency for accepting improper campaign contributions.
- A sheriff’s bomb squad was called to investigate a hand grenade, which was found Friday inside a box donated to the Goodwill thrift shop in Glendale, police said. After the bomb squad evacuated the building, they took posession of the grenade and declared it to be safe, according to the Glendale police department.
- Citing a desire to spend more time with his two young children, Hector Valencia stepped down as head football coach at Burbank High Friday afternoon after five years with the team.
- Burbank police officer Anthony Valento has agreed to plead guilty to one count of making false statements to federal investigators during a probe into an alleged scheme involving his girlfriend and her estranged husband. The agreement includes 30 months in prison and three years of supervised release, along with a $100 special assessment.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.