Good morning, readers. Today is Friday, March 21, 2014. Temperatures in the area are expected to reach a high of 67 and a low of 53 in the Glendale area, with a chance of drizzle.
Here are your top headlines in the 818 region:
- A 53-year-old male transient, convicted of manslaughter in 1997, was arrested Thursday and booked under suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the stabbing of a woman on a busy street in Glendale, police said.
- Christopher Wilke, a 12-year-old Burbank resident who was fighting a rare form of cancer, died Thursday at 9:33 a.m.
- A study on the potential construction of bridges along the Glendale Narrows area of the Los Angeles River — including one that may connect to Griffith Park — is set to begin following City Council approval this week of a $725,000 contract with an engineering firm.
- Glendale Community College trustees voted this week to extend Supt./President David Viar’s contract through 2017 and bump up his salary by 2%.
- Office landlord Jeff Worthe, who owns or manages more than half the office space for rent in Burbank's Media District, has purchased Tower Burbank, the tallest building in Burbank at 32 stories, the Los Angeles Times reports.
- A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge has dismissed an extortion lawsuit brought by popular Spanish-language radio personality Eddie “Piolin” Sotelo against six former staff members of his canceled Univision Radio show, which was based in Glendale, and ruled that Sotelo may be liable for his adversaries’ legal fees.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.