Good morning, readers. Today is Friday, March 28.
Here are your top headlines in the 818 region:
- Despite fewer contenders and a shorter term up for grabs, City Council candidates who have accumulated the biggest war chests so far are nearly on par with the top fundraisers from last year’s race. Check out our interactive graph showing the contribution types by candidate.
- Registered nurses at USC Verdugo Hills Hospital on Wednesday voted in favor of joining one of California's largest nursing unions in hopes, they said, of securing better retirement plans, improved staffing and other additional benefits.
- By limiting free self-defense classes to women only, the city of Glendale and its Commission on the Status of Women is violating federal and state civil rights laws that protect against sexual discrimination, according to a letter sent this month to city officials by the National Coalition for Men.
- Hundreds of local shoppers lined up along La Cañada’s Foothill Boulevard Thursday morning to celebrate the opening of a new Gelson’s Market and enjoy several free samples and treats celebrating the grocery chain’s 18th location.
A power outage in west Glendale left 744 customers without electricity on Thursday afternoon.
- Moonlight Rollerway is memorializing David Snowden, a longtime patron who had a big pair of roller skates and an even bigger passion for skating.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.