Good morning, 818 readers. Today is Wednesday, April 23, 2014. The high is expected to reach 76 and low 53 in the Glendale area.
These are some of the top headlines from your region:
- Union members turned out to support the editing team behind the NBC reality show “Last Comic Standing” on Tuesday and picketed outside the Hollywood Production Center in Glendale for the workers’ right to unionize.
- A social advocacy nonprofit organization is asking a judge to void the city’s approval of the IKEA expansion project, arguing that the city failed to prepare an adequate environmental impact report, records show.
- Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) called on the Japanese government on Tuesday to “speak plainly” about a dark chapter in the country’s history in which Korean, Chinese and other women were used as sex slaves by the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II.
- Five handguns believed to have been stolen were recovered during a traffic stop in Burbank on Sunday, police said.
- John Muir Middle School unveiled a mural of Yosemite Valley on Monday, which also marked the birthday of the school’s namesake on April 21, 1838.
- During a somber, yet celebratory event, Glendale students performed songs and dances as well as read poems during the 13th annual commemoration of the Armenian Genocide Monday night that brought hundreds of people to Glendale High.
-- Sameea Kamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter: @SameeaKamal.