Maranatha holds Hoover back in overtime

PASADENA — Thirty-two minutes wasn't enough, so the Hoover High and Maranatha boys' basketball teams wound up playing an extra four minutes to settle the outcome.

For Maranatha, it proved to be a boon. The same couldn't be said for Hoover.

Maranatha got just enough offense in overtime as its defense held Hoover scoreless in overtime to earn a 60-57 home victory Wednesday night in a quarterfinal contest of the La Salle/Temple City Holiday Classic.

“It was quite a game,” said Maranatha Coach Tim Godley, whose team won its fourth game in a row to improve to 10-2 and will next meet Muir or Cantwell Sacred Heart in a semifinal contest at 6 p.m. today at La Salle following a stellar effort from junior point guard Jeremy Major, who had a game-high 26 points. “We are still a young team and a win like this can help us get better.”

Hoover (6-5) missed all five of its shots from the floor in overtime. It also committed three turnovers.

The Tornadoes saw their five-game winning streak end and will meet Muir or Cantwell Sacred Heart in a consolation game at 6 today at Temple City High.

“We had our chances in overtime, but we missed some shots and kicked the ball out of bounds,” said Hoover Coach Jack Van Patten, whose team knotted the game at 57 on a three-pointer by senior guard Kyle Bernardo (22 points) with 46 seconds left in regulation. “Our kids are tough and we kept fighting back.

“We just have to learn to take care of the ball better.”

Major excelled at taking care of the ball, as he finished with 10 rebounds and six assists. Major nearly won the game as the buzzer sounded to end regulation, but his three-pointer bounced off the back of the rim.

Major and the Minutemen then seized control in the extra session. He scored on a layup to give the Minutemen a 59-57 lead. The Minutemen turned the ball over with 31 seconds left, but the Tornadoes committed a turnover on an errant pass with 17 seconds remaining.

Maranatha's Garren Llorens was fouled and missed two free throws with nine seconds left. However, Llorens successfully hustled for the rebound after the second shot and was then fouled with five seconds remaining.

Llorens made the first free throw and then missed the second attempt to make it 60-57. Hoover had one last chance, but another turnover with two seconds left snuffed out further possible heroics.

Godley, a former assistant with the Glendale Community College men's team, said Major excelled when needed.

“We run our offense through him,” said Godley, who got 10 points from junior guard Andrew Elffers and 11 rebounds from senior forward PJ Dunn. “He makes us better when he's affective.”

Van Patten, who got nine points from junior guard Ryan Barsegian and 12 rebounds from senior guard Adeh Navasartian, said the Tornadoes will look to finish up the tournament strong before beginning Pacific League play next week.

“We'll work on some things,” Van Patten said. “We have a team that can regroup.”

Copyright © 2019, Glendale News-Press
EDITION: California | U.S. & World