Advertisement
Share

Two hospitalized after chemical release during classroom experiment at Glendale Community College

Students head into the administration center at Glendale Community College on during the first day of the fall 2015 semester.

Students head into the administration center at Glendale Community College on during the first day of the fall 2015 semester.

(Photo by Kelly Corrigan)

Two people were hospitalized with minor injuries Monday following a vent malfunction during a classroom chemistry experiment at Glendale Community College, officials said.

Multiple classrooms were evacuated from a campus building just after 11 a.m. as Glendale and Burbank hazardous materials crews responded to the school, according to Glendale Fire Department spokeswoman Brandy Villanueva.

NEWSLETTER: Stay up to date with what’s going on in the 818 >>

Paramedics treated three additional patients at the scene for minor injuries.

Around 1:20 p.m., the building was deemed safe and students were returning to class.

It was not immediately known which chemicals were used during the experiment.

Further details were not immediately available.

--

Alene Tchekmedyian, alene.tchekmedyian@latimes.com

Twitter: @atchek

--

ALSO:

Glendale City Council shies from proposed location of Armenian American Museum

Glendale pair convicted of laundering more than $1 million in Medicare fraud

Glendale eighth-grader’s anti-bullying short film takes first prize in local contest


Advertisement