Advertisement
Share

Toxic gas released as a result of plumbing problem prompts evacuation of Glendale apartment complex

A 28-unit apartment complex in Glendale was evacuated after a resident reported smelling an odor in her home, authorities said.

A 28-unit apartment complex in Glendale was evacuated after a resident reported smelling an odor in her home, authorities said.

Nearly 30 households were displaced Saturday night after a plumbing issue in a unit of an old Glendale apartment complex caused the release of a flammable, highly toxic gas, officials said.

At around 10:15 p.m., a resident of a 28-unit apartment complex in the 100 block of West Dryden Street called firefighters after smelling an odor in her home, according to Glendale Fire spokeswoman Brandy Villanueva.

NEWSLETTER: Stay up to date with what’s going on in the 818 >>

Firefighters evacuated the building while hazardous materials crews tested the air and detected hydrogen sulfide, a gas that smells like rotten eggs and in low concentrations, can cause eye burning, tearing, coughing and shortness of breath, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Crews traced the gas back to the unit’s plumbing system, which was replaced, Villanueva said.

The American Red Cross provided overnight housing for the residents, who were allowed to return at 11 a.m. the following morning.

--

Alene Tchekmedyian, alene.tchekmedyian@latimes.com

Twitter: @atchek

--

ALSO:

Dignity Health Glendale Memorial Hospital receives its largest grant

Crescenta Valley Water District dedicates well at Rockhaven

Metro officials plan pedestrian bridge to connect Bob Hope Airport to nearby train station


Advertisement