Orange County COVID-19 death toll tops 1,200
The Orange County Health Care Agency reported 22 new deaths on Friday, with half of those being residents in skilled nursing facilities and the other half being residents not currently living in a facility.
This brings the total number of deaths of COVID-19 since the county agency began tracking data to 1,204.
The county agency also reported 282 new cases, leading to a total of 52,904 cases. That does not include the total for antigen positive cases, which is 1,424. Currently, 157 cases are hospitalized and 50 are in intensive care units. An estimated 47,660 have recovered.
Total tests administered are now 828,059, including the 8,748 new tests reported on Friday by the Orange County Health Care Agency.
With Orange County giving every school the green light to reopen for the first time since March, teachers and administrators said they felt excited and scared at the same time. Parents said they experienced similar feelings.
Orange County is still on track to move into the next, less restrictive tier as part of the state’s reopening guidelines, holding steady at 3.6 daily positive cases for every 100,000 residents and a testing positivity rate of 3.1%. To move into the next tier, the county will need to stay between 1 to 3.9 new daily cases and between 2 to 4.9% test positivity. The overall numbers are reported as a seven-day average.
The county first moved into its current tier on Sept. 8.
Here are the latest cumulative coronavirus case counts and COVID-19 deaths for select cities in Orange County:
- Santa Ana: 10,223 cases; 247 deaths
- Anaheim: 9,047 cases; 258 deaths
- Huntington Beach: 2,383 cases; 71 deaths
- Costa Mesa: 1,797 cases; 30 deaths
- Irvine: 1,658 cases; 12 deaths
- Newport Beach: 1,117 cases; 24 deaths
- Fountain Valley: 504 cases; 16 deaths
- Laguna Beach: 218 cases; fewer than five deaths
Here are the case counts by age group, followed by deaths:
- 0 to 17: 3,730 cases; one death
- 18 to 24: 7,966 cases; four deaths
- 25 to 34: 11,419 cases; 18 deaths
- 35 to 44: 8,467 cases; 32 deaths
- 45 to 54: 8,535 cases; 103 deaths
- 55 to 64: 6,344 cases; 175 deaths
- 65 to 74: 3,167 cases; 245 deaths
- 75 to 84: 1,797 cases; 254 deaths
- 85 and older: 1,431 cases; 372 deaths
All the latest on Orange County from Orange County.
Get our free TimesOC newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Daily Pilot.