Orange County reports 1,701 new coronavirus cases, 31 deaths regionwide
The Orange County Health Care Agency reported 1,701 new cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday, which brings the county total to 216,509.
Data also show another 31 deaths from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. One of the patients was a resident of a skilled nursing facility and the rest were residents not living in a facility.
With 16,310 coronavirus tests reported on Wednesday, the total number of tests in the county is 2.5 million, not including positive antigen tests which cumulatively total 12,623.
Area hospitals say that there are 1,975 patients with COVID-19 currently hospitalized, with 527 in intensive care units. Adjusted numbers from the agency indicate that ICU capacity countywide remains at 0% with 34% of ventilators available.
Orange County remains in the purple, “widespread” tier, the most stringent. To meet the requirements of the red, “substantial” tier, the adjusted daily case rate would need to drop to between four and seven new daily cases for every 100,000 residents and test positivity would need to lower between 5% and 8%.
The health equity quartile positivity rate would need to fall between 5.3% and 8%.
The adjusted daily case rate is currently 67.1, and test positivity is 16.7%. The health equity quartile positivity rate is 21.2%.
An estimated 147,280 patients have recovered in the county to date. At least 2,508 Orange County residents have died from the virus since March.
Here are the latest cumulative coronavirus case counts and COVID-19 deaths for select cities in Orange County:
- Santa Ana: 39,420 cases; 466 deaths
- Anaheim: 36,335 cases; 500 deaths
- Huntington Beach: 8,803 cases; 122 deaths
- Costa Mesa: 7,451 cases; 70 deaths
- Irvine: 8,442 cases; 40 deaths
- Newport Beach: 3,060 cases; 40 deaths
- Fountain Valley: 2,864 cases; 39 deaths
- Laguna Beach: 666 cases; fewer than five deaths
Here are the case counts by age group, followed by deaths:
- 0 to 17: 21,659 cases; one death
- 18 to 24: 30,140 cases; five deaths
- 25 to 34: 43,859 cases; 29 deaths
- 35 to 44: 34,032 cases; 51 deaths
- 45 to 54: 34,905 cases; 175 deaths
- 55 to 64: 27,068 cases; 334 deaths
- 65 to 74: 13,406 cases; 481 deaths
- 75 to 84: 6,710 cases; 567 deaths
- 85 and older: 4,581 cases; 865 deaths
Updated figures are posted daily at occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc. Information on COVID-19 vaccines in Orange County can be found at occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/covid-19-vaccine-resources.
All the latest on Orange County from Orange County.
Get our free TimesOC newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Daily Pilot.