Dog walker alerts residents to fire

A roof fire at a Newport Beach home late Tuesday night caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, authorities said.

Forty firefighters responded about 11:59 p.m. to Harbor Ridge Drive, near San Miguel Park, after a neighbor walking a dog reported seeing flames at the rear of the home, Fire Department spokeswoman Jennifer Schulz said in a news release.

Residents were in the house, which was under construction, but the dog walker alerted them and they safely evacuated the home near Harbor Ridge and Ridgeline Drive, she said.

The fire was sparked by a nail puncturing insulation of an electrical wire, causing a short circuit, according to the release. It took firefighters about 40 minutes to put out the blaze, Schulz said.

— Lauren Williams

Copyright © 2019, Daily Pilot
EDITION: California | U.S. & World