Terry’s Grandmother’s Chicken Soup
Broth is best prepared in advance so it may chill and fat can be easily removed.
1 roasting chicken, halved or quartered, excess fat removed
3 quarts of water
2 teaspoons salt
1 small parsnip, peeled
2 large carrots, peeled and quartered
1 medium onion, whole
2 stalks celery with leaves, cut in half
3 or 4 sprigs of parsley
pinch of sugar
salt and white pepper to taste
1. Put chicken in a large pot, cover with water. Add the salt. Bring water to a simmer and cook uncovered skimming frequently.
2. When broth seems clear, cover and cook on low for 45 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except for salt and pepper and continue to cook for an additional hour.
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Strain soup and discard solids unless you want to eat them.
6. Serve soup with vermicelli egg noodles or matzoh balls, cooked separately.
7. Garnish with parsley or dill.
Elle’s Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup (pho ga)
1 large chicken (4 to 5 pounds), excess fat removed, water to cover
3 1/2 quarts water for soup
1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled, cut in slices
2 green onions
1 whole Serrano chili
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar optional: 3 kaffir lime leaves or I stalk lemongrass or 1 tablespoon coriander seed
optional: 2 star anise
8 ounces thin rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
2 cups beans sprouts
cilantro sprigs, basil leaves, mint leaves
1. Cut chicken breast meat off in two whole pieces. Put chicken in pot, whole or in pieces, but not the breasts. Add water to cover, bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Dump the chicken in a large colander. Discard water. Rinse off scum with cold water.
3. Put chicken and 3 1/2 quarts cold water in pot. Add breasts, ginger, green onion, whole chili, fish sauce and optional ingredients.
4. Bring to a simmer. Do not let boil. Turn heat to very low. Cook 15 minutes. Remove breasts, slice, set aside. Skim broth. Partially cover, leaving 1 to 2 inches open to let steam escape.
5. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, skimming every 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with more fish sauce or sugar.
6. Strain broth, discard solids.
7 When serving, reheat broth. Ladle into bowls. Add noodles, then chicken.
Serve with garnishes and Sriracha sauce.