Cigarette in trash can sparks deck fire

The wooden deck of a Costa Mesa house caught fire Saturday night after a smoldering cigarette was thrown into a plastic trash can, authorities said.

Costa Mesa firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire in the 1700 block of Orange Avenue at 8:19 p.m., according to a news release.

The fire was determined to have been caused by a burning cigarette accidentally discarded in a plastic trash can, which melted and then burst into flames. The fire extended to the wood deck joists and planks, causing $1,000 in damage, the release said.

The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes, and no injuries were reported, the release stated.

— Hannah Fry


Copyright © 2019, Daily Pilot
EDITION: California | U.S. & World