Member of Chargers organization tests positive for coronavirus
A member of the Los Angeles Chargers organization has tested positive for the coronavirus and two others have shown symptoms, team spokesman Josh Rupprecht confirmed Wednesday.
The identity of the three affected has not been revealed, but Rupprecht said owner Dean Spanos, general manager Tom Telesco and head coach Anthony Lynn were not among that group.
Rupprecht said the three individuals are “doing well and on the road to recovery.”
The Chargers’ team headquarters are in Costa Mesa, and they have their annual training camp at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex, which is adjacent to Costa Mesa High. The team signed a 10-year use agreement with Costa Mesa in 2017.
The team headquarters have been shut down since March 17, as essential team personnel have been working from home since then. Rupprecht said the individual who tested positive for the coronavirus got those results about a week later.
The city of Costa Mesa is making face coverings mandatory within city limits when in public for essential purposes as a way to help curtail the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, the city announced Monday evening. A face covering is not required for residents walking, biking or running, the city manager says.
On Monday, the city of Costa Mesa made face masks mandatory for individuals in public for essential purposes. The city has seen 28 confirmed cases of the coronavirus as of Wednesday evening.
The Chargers have the No. 6 pick in the NFL Draft, which is scheduled to begin April 23. The team is scheduled to move into SoFi Stadium in Inglewood this season.
Support our sports coverage by becoming a digital subscriber.
All the latest on Orange County from Orange County.
Get our free TimesOC newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Daily Pilot.