* Jewell Avenue: A resident reported that the neighbor’s dog had
been barking since 6 a.m. that morning in the 31000 block at 8:48
a.m. When the caller told the owner of the dog about the problem, the
owner reportedly told him to buy ear plugs.
* Laguna Canyon Road/73 Toll Road: Drivers reported that the
signals were on red and that traffic was backing up near the
intersection at 12:50 p.m.
* North Coast Highway/Viejo Street: A resident reported that a
woman he had just met drove off with his car near the intersection at
4:49 p.m. Based on the victim’s description of the suspect, police
recognized that they had contacted her earlier that evening when they
confiscated her suspended driver’s license. When they arrived at the
suspect’s home, officers discovered the keys to the victim’s car and
the car itself was parked several streets away. They arrested the
31-year-old woman on suspicion of stealing a car.
* Altadena Drive: Based on an investigation, officers obtained a
search warrant for a suspected drug dealer in the 17000 block at 8:09
p.m. When they arrived at the house, they saw the suspect get into
the car with two men and drive around the block. Officers contacted
the suspect and arrested her on suspicion of selling narcotics,
possession for sale, possession of a controlled substance and
conspiracy to commit a crime. Police also arrested two men on
suspicion of selling narcotics, possession for sale and conspiracy to
commit a crime. All suspects were transported to Orange County Jail.
Police confiscated an ounce of cocaine, a four-door Audi sedan and
about $1,200 in cash.
* Third Street: A fire at a small residence was reported in the
300 block at 9:38 a.m. Firefighters responded and the road was closed
to traffic until 10 a.m.
* Rembrandt Drive: A resident reported a residential fire in the
900 block at 5:49 p.m. Firefighters discovered a fire on the rear
deck of the house and extinguished it.
* Juanita Way: A property manager reported that an unauthorized
person tried to move into an apartment in the 2000 block at 10:33
* Main Beach: A transient sleeping on the chess board in the area
was reported at 10:58 a.m.
* Tia Juana Street: A resident reported that she suspected her
roommate was stealing from her in the 900 block at 1:03 p.m. She gave
police consent to search the home and they arrested a 43-year-old
Laguna man for two outstanding warrants for charges of embezzlement
and failure to stop at a stop sign.
* Cliff Drive: An officer approached a parked car with the radio
blaring and horn honking in the 300 block at 4:50 a.m. A 43-year-old
Wilmington resident was arrested for public intoxication. He
initially refused to get out of the car, but complied. The next
morning he was released on his own recognizance.
* Laguna Canyon Road: A driver reported that a dog jumped out of
a car and started running around in the 3000 block at 10:07 a.m. The
dog’s owner chased the dog and caught it.
* Ocean Way: A sewage leak was reported in the 2000 block at 4:59
p.m. The homeowner’s line was plugged and only clean water leaked.
* Poplar Street: A 32-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of
committing cohabitant abuse in the 300 block at 8:54 p.m. His minor
injuries led police to arrest his ex-girlfriend on suspicion of the
same charge. They were booked and posted bail.
* Laguna Canyon Road: Police responded to a non-injury traffic
collision between Woodland Drive and Canyon Acres at 11:49 p.m.
Eastbound traffic was shut down while officers conducted an
investigation. They arrested a 35-year-old Lake Forest man on
suspicion of driving under the influence. The scene was cleared at
* Ramona Avenue: An officer advised residents that they could not
use patio furniture to save parking spots in front of their home in
the 500 block at 9:52 a.m. The resident promised not to do it again.
* Aliso Beach Park: A resident reported broken glass in the
children’s playground after his 7-year-old son cut his foot at 1:15
p.m. Officers found 25 to 30 pieces of glass, but were not able to
determine if they were placed there intentionally.
* S. La Senda Drive: A resident reported his bathroom was on fire
in the 70 block at 3:44 p.m. He put it out before firefighters
* Ocean Avenue: An officer responded to a petty theft in the 300
block at 3:44 p.m. After dropping the merchandise, the suspect fled
from the scene, leading the officer on a chase through the storm
drain by the city yard and to the Festival of Arts grounds. After an
area search, officers were unable to apprehend the suspect.
* Forest Avenue: A resident threw his flip-flop sandals on top of
an overhang in the 200 block at 2:09 a.m. He wanted the city to get
them down and an officer to mail them back to him.
* Alta Laguna Park: Graffiti on a fire sign was reported at 10:44
* El Camino Del Mar: A resident reported that a city tree limb
fell on the roof of his house in the 300 block at 2:36 p.m.
* Divers Cove: A boat flipped over, but no one was in distress at
* Rim Rock Canyon Road: A resident reported that a tree fell and
hit some lines in the 1900 block at 3:58 p.m. She reported that she
still had power.
* The Police Log is compiled and written by Mary A. Castillo from
oral and written reports from the Laguna Beach Police Department and
other sources. Not all police activity is included. Arrests indicate
suspicion of violations, not charges filed nor the results of court
action unless noted.