* Mailing address: P.O. Box 4101, Costa Mesa, CA 92628
* Sunday service address: Westin Hotel, South Coast Plaza, 686
Anton Blvd., Costa Mesa
* Parking: Free.
* Telephone: (714) 875-0869
* Web site: www.redeemerpres.com
* E-mail: email@example.com
* Denomination: Presbyterian Church in America
* Year established: 2001
* Service time: 10 a.m. Sunday
* Senior pastor: Jim Belcher. On Oct. 6, in a public ceremony
that came after nearly two years of intensive theological studies,
preparation and examinations, Belcher was ordained into the
Presbyterian Church of America. "The PCA takes the ordination process
very seriously, requiring, among other things, a theological/seminary
degree, a supervised internship, adherence to the Westminster
Confession of Faith and a requisite maturity and calling," Belcher
said. "It believes that whoever is called to the ministry is
entrusted with accurately handling the Word of God and correctly
administering the Sacraments, as well as with being above reproach.
This is [regarded as] a very high calling with far too much at stake
to enter into lightly."
* Size of congregation: 65
* Makeup of congregation: The average age is 30. Members are
mostly young couples, some with children, singles and professionals.
* Child care: Child care is provided.
* Type of worship: The Lord's Supper is celebrated weekly.
Worship is a blend of ancient and modern liturgy and music.
* Type of sermon: Belcher's sermons are expository biblical
* Recent sermon: "Chasing After Pleasure: Themes from
Ecclesiastes." The sermon was part of a series.
* Upcoming sermon: "Chasing After Accomplishments: Themes from
* Dress: Friday casual
* Visitor hospitality: Belcher and members of the church welcome
visitors, all of whom are invited to stay for coffee and doughnuts
that are served following the worship service. Visitors are given a
bulletin when they arrive and guest materials if they wish to have
* Church programs: Multiple community groups meet in homes during
the week. Wednesday night study is starting an in-depth study of "The
Westminster Confession of Faith." There are monthly gatherings and
outreach events. Details are available on Sunday or by calling the
church. Sunday school and child care are available.
* Mission statement: Redeemer Presbyterian Church exists to
ignite a movement of the gospel that changes people in Orange County
in every aspect of life -- spiritually, socially and culturally.
* Interesting note: The worship is accompanied by a grand piano,
soprano saxophone, flute, classical guitar and cello. "It will stir
your soul like never before," Belcher said. "If you have been
searching for a church with more meaningful worship, more depth in
the preaching, more reverence in its tone -- yet a church that is
intensely joyful -- a church that takes seriously the mind as well as
the heart, then this church may be for you."
The goal of the church is to provide worship that is ancient and
modern, connecting believers in the present with the great history of
the Presbyterian church's past.
-- Michele Marr