Orange Avenue blaze causes $50,000 in damage

A fire in the 2500 block of Orange Avenue in Costa Mesa caused about $50,000 in damage to an apartment complex, firefighters said Monday.

No one was injured in the fire, which was reported after noon Sunday, said Costa Mesa Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Coates.

The blaze, which firefighters believe started in the water heater area of the two-story building, was knocked down in about 25 minutes, Coates said.

About 25 firefighters arrived within five minutes of the 12:07 p.m. call and found smoke and fire coming from a window, he said. Damage was limited mostly to a downstairs garage and an upstairs living room.

No one appeared to be at home when the blaze started, Coates said.

He also reminded residents to change the batteries in their smoke detectors as the March 10 Daylight Savings Time change approaches.

"What we recommend is that you change the battery in your smoke detectors as you change your clocks," Coates said, adding that batteries should be changed twice a year — and it helps to "tie it to something."

—Jill Cowan

Twitter: @jillcowan

Copyright © 2019, Daily Pilot
EDITION: California | U.S. & World