Street ‘takeover’ including fireworks sparks officer-involved shooting in F.V.; no one injured, 1 arrested
A street “takeover” that included fireworks at a Fountain Valley intersection sparked an officer-involved shooting over the weekend, authorities said Monday.
Fountain Valley police responded at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday to the area of Newhope Street and Slater Avenue to a report of dozens of vehicles blocking the intersection, authorities said.
In a “takeover,” street racers or members of a car club take over a stretch of road or an intersection to perform burnouts and other driving stunts, some involving pyrotechnics, police said.
A single shot was fired by a Fountain Valley police officer, Sgt. Donald Farmer said Monday. No one was injured, police said.
Whether the shot was directed at someone or was intended as a warning is under investigation, Farmer said.
Police arrested Leopoldo Castillo, 21, of Santa Ana on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and obstructing and resisting arrest, Farmer said.
“It is the nature of the assault with a deadly weapon that is being investigated,” Farmer said, declining to elaborate.
No firearms were recovered from the scene, and no traffic collisions or injuries were reported in connection with the incident, police said.
Castillo was released on bond from Orange County Jail on Sunday, according to jail records. No criminal charges had been filed against him as of Monday, according to the county district attorney’s office.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Fountain Valley Police Department Investigations Bureau at (714) 593-4468.
All the latest on Orange County from Orange County.
Get our free TimesOC newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Daily Pilot.