* Laguna Canyon Road: A vehicle burglary was reported in the 2000
block at 10:45 a.m. The vehicle was left unlocked and an amplifier,
sub-woofer and sunglasses were taken. The total value $1,930.
* Broadway: A bicyclist hit a car stopped in traffic in the 200
block at 11:06 a.m. The rider flipped over and fell. He was cited for
failure to yield to oncoming traffic.
* Skyline Drive: An injured bicyclist was reported in the 1300
block at 5 p.m. The rider had been traveling westbound at a high rate
of speed before he lost control of the bike and crashed off the side
of the road. Mercy Air airlifted the victim to Mission Hospital.
* South Coast Highway: Officers were called to a fight in
progress in the 200 block at 9:06 p.m. When officers arrived the
suspect had fled. During the search of the area they found a
transient lying face down on Forest Way. The 31-year old man was
arrested for suspicion of public intoxication.
* Solana Way: A residential burglary was reported in the 2000
block at 10:06 p.m. An unknown suspect forced open the front door and
stole a laptop computer, Cartier watch, cash and credit cards. Total
Thursday, Sept. 5
* Park Avenue: A dog was reported running around on the football
field during practice in the 600 block at 3:55 p.m. The dog was taken
into custody by Animal Control Services.
* Treasure Island/South Coast Highway: An officer stopped a
vehicle that was swerving in the roadway near the intersection at
8:12 p.m. After the 24-year-old Arizona driver failed a field
sobriety test the officer arrested him on suspicion of driving under
the influence and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
Alcoholic beverages and fireworks were discovered in the car. The
passenger was taken to the station and released to her parents.
* Ocean Avenue: A residential burglary was reported in the 400
block at 2:36 p.m. The victim told officers that it may have occurred
between Sept. 3 and 4. The suspect gained entry by unknown means and
stole $6,800 in cash.
Friday, Sept. 6
* Laguna Canyon Road: Police and firefighters were called to an
injury accident in the 35000 block at 3:53 p.m. Two cars were
involved in a head-on collision after a vehicle traveling southbound
veered into on-coming traffic for no apparent reason. The victim’s
car landed at a 90 angle in a drainage ditch off the side of the
road. The driver of that vehicle had to be extricated and was then
transported to Mission Hospital. That same vehicle also had two
children who were treated for minor injuries. The road was re-opened
at 4:57 p.m.
* South Coast Highway: A business owner reported a female acting
weird and refusing to leave the business in the 600 block at 7:24
p.m. She later called back after the woman left.
* Cedar Way: A resident reported that she saw a young man climb
over her neighbor’s fence in the 500 block at 11:36 p.m. When
officers arrived and detained the man he explained that he was
staying with his mother and forget his key. His mother verified his
* South Coast Highway: A loud party was reported in a hotel room
in the 30000 block at 11:30 p.m. Officers advised the hosts to keep
it down and the hosts complied.
* Arch Street: A resident reported that his cat went completely
crazy in the 200 block at 10:09 a.m. They confined it with a laundry
basket but it escaped when they tried to move it. Animal Control was
* South Coast Highway: A resident reported that someone got into
the home through an unlocked window in the 31000 block at 10:33 a.m.
Nothing was missing but some items were broken.
* South Coast Highway: An elderly female was transported to South
Coast Medical Center for mental evaluation after she refused to leave
her room and threw objects at staff in the 1500 block at 12:31 p.m.
* Bern Drive: A resident reported a deer lying under a tree in
the 3000 block at 3:51 p.m. Animal Control advised that it wasn’t
sick, it was simply resting.
* Cypress Drive: A resident reported that she was locked in her
bathroom after the doorknob fell off in the 500 block at 8:42 a.m.
* Crescent Bay Park: Graffiti was reported on two concrete
benches at 9:06 a.m.
Monday, Sept. 9
* Forest Avenue: Two transients were cited for trespassing after
they were found sleeping in a parking garage in the 300 block at 6:02
* Cliff Drive: A 36-year-old Dana Point man was cited for leaving
a dog in a car in the 400 block at 10:39 a.m. The external
temperature was 89upon and the dog was unharmed.
* Del Mar Avenue: A vehicle backed into a parked motorcycle in
the 16000 block at 1:20 p.m. No injuries were reported.
* South Coast Highway: A grand theft was reported in the 1400
block at 3:12 p.m. The suspect entered a hotel room through unknown
means and stole two cell phones and a ladies’ watch. Total value
* Laguna Canyon Road: Police responded to a medical aid call in
the 21000 block at 1:45 p.m. They discovered a naked 21-year-old San
Clemente woman in a tree screaming for water and help. Firefighters
got her down. She requested to be transported to her doctor at
transported at Hoag Hospital.
* Hillview Drive: A resident reported that someone stole an
antique purse containing $2,800 cash in the 2100 block at 12:37 p.m.
* Blue Lagoon Beach: A call was received about a sea lion washed
up on the beach at 5:57 p.m. Friends of the Sea Lion advised that
during breeding season male sea lions rest on land.
* Glenneyre Street: A resident reported that her ex-boyfriend
made verbal threats in her home in the 2000 block at 9:48 p.m.
* Caribbean Way: A 50-year-old Laguna man was arrested on
suspicion of felony spousal abuse in the 1500 block. His wife was
treated for her injuries at a nearby hospital.
* The Police Log is compiled and written by Mary A. Castillo from
oral and written reports from the Laguna Beach Police Department and
other sources. Not all police activity is included. Arrests indicate
suspicion of violations, not charges filed nor the results of court
action unless noted.