* Cress Street: A resident reported that a neighbor cut down
hedges without a permit in the 500 block at 2:59 p.m.
* South Coast Highway: A resident reported that he found two
bikes in his driveway in the 600 block at 3:20 p.m. The bikes
belonged to children who lived next door.
* Catalina/Thalia streets: An officer spotted a young man running
down the street at 5:03 a.m. When he contacted the man to see what
was wrong, the 23-year-old San Clemente resident tried to hide in the
bushes and displayed signs of being under the influence. The man was
arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of a controlled
substance. He was released on his own recognizance seven hours later.
* Coast View Drive: A resident reported that someone turned off
the water during the night in the 900 block at 11:30 a.m.
* Laguna Canyon Road: A woman was driving north when the entire
front right wheel of her car came off the axle in the 2100 block at
3:20 p.m. She lost control of the car and smashed into five parked
cars. She complained of neck pain and was transported to the
* Cliff Drive: A woman ran into a restaurant and locked herself
in a bathroom in the 300 block at 7:23 p.m. She told officers that
one of the men she had been partying with propositioned her in the
parking lot and then exposed himself to her. When he tried to grab
her, she ran away. The suspect had already left the area.
* South Coast Highway: A resident reported that an unknown
suspect entered his locked vehicle and stole $500 worth of tools in
the 1500 block at 1:44 p.m.
* Monaco Drive: An officer was called to intervene when a
Christmas tree delivery service accidentally made a delivery to the
wrong address in the 2400 block at 8:42 p.m. The homeowner refused to
hand it over. The delivery company agreed to bill the homeowner.
* Glenneyre Street: A woman called police when she heard someone
try to get into a restaurant she was cleaning in the 300 block at
* Woodland Drive: A resident reported that his bike that had been
parked outside his home was missing in the 100 block at 8:29 a.m. He
later called to report that he found his bike at the Day Laborer
* Scenic Drive: A resident reported a neighbor for hosing power
steering fluid down the street in the 31000 block at 9:21 a.m. City
workers arrived to clean up the spill.
* South Coast Highway: A construction manager reported that
someone stole keys to equipment for a paving project and turned on
one of the machines leaving it to run until the gas and battery power
was gone in the 30000 South Coast Highway at 11:47 a.m.
* South Coast Highway: A local business reported that someone
stole security cameras in the 600 block at 2:43 p.m. The cameras were
not hooked up to a recording system.
* Glenneyre Street: A driver reported that a trailer was parked
in a handicapped space in the 900 block at 4:24 p.m. An parking
enforcement officer came out and cited the trailer.
* North Coast Highway: A woman called police asking for an escort
because she was afraid of some coyotes outside in the 1000 block at
3:25 a.m. An officer drove out and walked her to her car. No coyotes
* Fifth Avenue: A resident called police when a drain in the
street was flooding out sewer contents in the 31000 block at 7:45
a.m. A representative from the water department came out and
determined that the residential line was blocked.
* Canyon Acres Drive: A 32-year-old Laguna Beach resident was
arrested on a Harbor Court Warrant for writing checks with
insufficient funds and making a false police report in the 300 block
at 8:38 p.m. He had allegedly reported to police that his wallet had
been stolen and someone had written checks. A detective investigated
the case and, after talking to witnesses at the stores where the
checks had been written, discovered that the victim was the suspect.
Police asked witnesses to review a photo lineup and they indicated
that the Laguna man was the one who wrote the bad checks. He was
transported to Orange County Jail in lieu of $10,000 bail and for
violating his probation.
* Alta Mira Road: A fire engine reportedly hit a parked car in
the 10 block at 12:44 a.m.
* Ocean Way: Police arrested a 24-year-old Laguna man for
obstructing an officer. He reportedly heckled officers who were
conducting a field sobriety test in the 200 block at 2:11 a.m. He
told officers to take him to jail, too. After he was booked, he was
released on his own recognizance.
* The Police Log is compiled and written by Mary A. Castillo from
oral and written reports from the Laguna Beach Police Department and
other sources. Not all police activity is included. Arrests indicate
suspicion of violations, not charges filed nor the results of court
action unless noted.