Kitchen fire breaks out at The Arches

A kitchen fire broke out Thursday at The Arches restaurant in Newport Beach but was quickly extinguished, authorities said.

A small grease fire began about 1:27 p.m. inside a grease duct at the restaurant's new location, 1617 Westcliff Drive, said Newport Beach Fire Department spokeswoman Jennifer Schulz.

Firefighters put out the fire about 20 minutes after it started, Schulz said.

Some 20 patrons were in the restaurant and smoke was coming out of the roof, but the smoke did not go into the dining area, said Arches employee Brice Mirtle.

No injuries or significant damage to the restaurant were reported, Schulz said.

The restaurant was open for business by Thursday night.

The original Arches opened in 1922, according to the restaurant's website. Hollywood celebrities including Gary Cooper, Shirley Temple and John Wayne were known to dine at the restaurant in the past.

—Lauren Williams

Copyright © 2019, Daily Pilot
EDITION: California | U.S. & World