Costa Mesa firefighters responded to a fire Wednesday after a neighbor on another street smelled the smoke from a Jacuzzi cover that was on fire, authorities said.
Firefighters received the call at 9:02 a.m., and within five minutes they were at the home in the 1300 block of Galway Lane extinguishing the then-engulfed, free-standing Jacuzzi, according to Battalion Chief Fred Seguin.
By the time firefighters reached the area of Harbor Boulevard and Adams Avenue — nearly a mile away — Seguin said the plume of smoke was already visible, and firefighters called for extra help at the scene.
In total, 17 firefighters, three fire engines and a truck responded to the home, and damages were limited to the Jacuzzi and some of the house's siding, Seguin said.
Damages were estimated at between $8,500 and $10,500. There were no reported injuries.
— Lauren Williams