Fire damages Sunset Beach house

Members of a Sunset Beach family were displaced Wednesday after a fire damaged their garage and parts of their two-story house, according to a Huntington Beach Fire Department official.

The fire caused about $10,000 in damage, Fire Capt. Bob Culhane said. No injuries were reported.

Huntington Beach and Orange County Fire Authority firefighters responded to a call in the 16000 block of 23rd Street around 10:20 a.m. and found smoke coming out of the windows of the garage. They were able to contain the fire by 10:46 a.m., Culhane said.

The captain said the fire could have been caused by a malfunctioning charger for a used electric bicycle the family had just purchased, but officials aren't ruling out other factors.

The fire greatly damaged the attached garage and spread to the house through an open door, Culhane said. He added that damage to the house could have been reduced if that door had been closed.

—Anthony Clark Carpio

Twitter: @acocarpio

Copyright © 2019, Daily Pilot
EDITION: California | U.S. & World