Advertisement

Newport Beach CEO steps down from company after being charged with child prostitution

A Newport Beach Police Department cruiser.
The Newport Beach Police Department is asking for anyone with information who can identify other potential victims to call (949) 644-3790.
(Kevin Chang / Staff Photographer)

Newport Beach resident Ian Charles Schenkel, facing charges of engaging in underage prostitution, has stepped down as chief executive of Haliburton International Foods, the company announced Friday.

The statement released by the Ontario-based company does not state the reason for Schenkel’s resignation. Dan Glick, a management and financial advisor to the company, was appointed as the new CEO. On Oct. 7, Schenkel, who founded Haliburton International Foods, was no longer listed on the company’s website.

Schenkel, 59, was arrested and charged on Sept. 29 by the Orange County district attorney’s office with engaging in the prostitution of two teenagers and faces six felony counts associated with unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor and two misdemeanor charges for soliciting prostitution of a minor. If convicted on all counts, Schenkel faces a maximum sentence of eight years in state prison and almost two years in county jail.

He is out on a bail of $100,000 and was scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 12, but court records Monday said the arraignment was canceled.

Charges were also filed against the 22-year-old Huntington Beach woman that brought the children to Schenkel for sex.

Amanda Emilia Perez, 22, was arrested last month with six felony counts as related to the facilitation of the prostitution of minors. If convicted on all counts, Perez faces a maximum sentence of 14 years and eight months in state prison. Perez is also out on a bail of $70,000.

Perez is expected to appear in court for arraignment on Nov. 13.

Prosecutors said investigators began looking at Schenkel last October when a man reported that his daughter had inappropriate sexual contact with Schenkel. The girl, identified by prosecutors as the first Jane Doe, told police that Perez would take her to meet men who would pay to have sex with her. Prosecutors said that Perez would then take a cut.

Perez is also alleged to have brought a second teenage girl to Schenkel, who paid to have sex with the child. Prosecutors said that Perez also took a cut of that money.

Authorities are asking for anyone with information who can identify other potential victims to reach out to the Newport Beach Police Department at (949) 644-3790.

Support our coverage by becoming a digital subscriber.


Advertisement