Apple said it plans to investigate the death of a 23-year-old Chinese woman who reportedly was electrocuted while taking a phone call on her iPhone 5 as it was charging.
Ma Ailun, a China Southern Airlines flight attendant from China's Xinjiang region, was electrocuted Thursday when she answered a call on her smartphone, Chinese state media reported, quoting local police.
According to Reuters, Apple said it would cooperate with authorities investigating the incident.
"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family," Apple told Reuters in an email. "We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."
A microblog post by Ma's sister about Ma's death warned other users to be careful with their devices, Reuters reported, saying the post went viral in China.
The incident may add to Apple's recent difficulties in the Chinese market. In April, the Cupertino, Calif., tech giant issued an apology to Chinese consumers after state-run media criticized Apple's warranty policies in the country.
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times