A Palm Springs property that actor Cary Grant lived in for 20 years has come on the market at $2,995,000.
The 19th century Spanish farmhouse replica was built between 1927 and 1930 on 1.5 acres in the area known as the Movie Colony for its famed residents. Called Las Palomas, or the Doves, the house features thick whitewashed walls, hand-painted kitchen and bathroom tile, kiva fireplaces and handmade terra-cotta roof tiles.
A soaring wood-beam ceiling, stone fireplace and tile floor add character to the living room. The great room includes French doors that open to a patio and the swimming pool. A redwood staircase leads to the second level and master bedroom with a walk-in closet and balconies. A cobblestone breezeway connects to a three-bedroom guest wing. The 6,000-square-foot house has six bedrooms and 51/2 bathrooms. An additional building can be used as a gym.
The grounds include 100-year-old eucalyptus, several types of palms and a variety of fruit trees.
Grant, who died in 1986 at 82, played leading man roles in films that include "North by Northwest" (1959), "To Catch a Thief" (1955) and "Notorious" (1946). The American Film Institute honored him in 1999 as one of the greatest screen legends.
The property last changed hands in 1998 for $720,000, according to public records.
Jeff Hyland of Hilton & Hyland, Beverly Hills, and Tyler Morgan of Pacific Union, Palm Springs, have the listing.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times