Topics

Fires

Fire department's move was never cause for alarm

Fire department's move was never cause for alarm

A story in the Aug. 31, 1895 edition of the American Sentinel, a Westminster newspaper, explained that the city's fire department had outgrown the building at 31 E. Main Street and was moving to a new location. The building had been used by the department since 1879 and would continue to do so until 1896. Confusion reigns as to exactly where this building once stood. Sometime later, all the buildings on Main Street were renumbered, though it is not clear as to when that happened and why. To be certain, the structure referred to in this article is not to be confused with the fire hall built in 1896 and located just up the street to the east, at 66 E. Main Street. One thought is...

Loading
75°