Need a sand bucket list for the best beaches in the nation? Start with Duke Kahanamoku Beach in Waikiki on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. The Honolulu beach was picked as the best in the nation, according to Dr. Beach, aka Stephen Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University.
Dr. Beach chose Kahanamoku, named for the Olympic athlete and Hawaiian surfer folk hero, as No. 1 because it's less crowded, protected by a coral reef and good for families.
"Surprising to most visitors, this beautiful beach where smoking is not permitted was created more than half a century ago by dredging through the shallow reef and importing sand," according to his website.
The rest of the 2014 top beaches:
2. Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Fla.
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui
6. Cape Hatteras,
7. Cape Florida State Park,
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
10. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Fla.
So why are there no great California beaches on the list? This might explain it.